Sunday, 21 August 2011

Toothless Forest put to slaughter in Lions Den

Lions made up: Darius Henderson (centre) shares his delight after putting Millwall in front
Darius Henderson (centre) shares his delight after putting Millwall ahead at the Den

Having failed to register a single shot on target in 90 minutes of football Steve McClaren's Reds were comfortably beaten by Millwall at the Den on Saturday.

Former Sheffield United striker Darius Henderson scored from a weighted near-post header following a corner after only seven minutes of the first half.

The Reds controlled possession much better in the second half but failed to have any affect in the final third and Liam Trotter sealed the win for the Lions on 77 minutes following a great counter attack from the home side.

The home side were straight out of the blocks early on and a well timed tackle from Chris Cohen was needed to prevent Millwall midfielder James Henry getting a shot in on goal.

However the Lions did get their early goal after Henry's corner found Henderson in the area who rose above a static Forest backline to head home.

Forest's first chance came on the 15 minute mark after new signing Jonathan Greening found Andy Reid who hit a rasping left foot shot which had Millwall keeper David Forde beaten but also beat the left-hand post.

Before half-time a mistake by Reds defender Luke Chambers allowed the Lions possession in the Forest box but a last ditch tackle from veteran George Boateng gave Forest a let off.

Forest came out for the second-half looking much improved on the ball and USA star Robbie Findley clipped the outside of the post from close range following a Cohen drive at goal.

The Reds brought on Marcus Tudgay and Radi Majewski late on but the two had little impact - Millwall continued to catch Forest out with their quick bursts of pace.

Following a good spell of Forest possession substitute Dany N'Guessan broke away quickly in the 77th minute and fired in a cross over the recovering Forest back four, promising striker Liam Trotter finished clinically and made it 2-0 to the home side.

Minutes later the home side could of added a third after N'Guessan rounded Chambers to cross for centre back Tamika Mkandawire who failed to control the ball.

The Reds looked lacklustre in front of goal and were beaten by a good Millwall side who will be looking to improve on last season's ninth place finish.

The match finished 2-0, meaning Steve McClaren is yet to claim his first Championship win as Forest manager. He will be looking to do so again on Tuesday evening, on the road at Doncaster. Kick off is at 7:45pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment