Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Reds battle to spot-kick victory over city rivals

Wes Morgan celebrates his goal
Wes Morgan celebrates his late equaliser for the Reds

Nottingham Forest won a dramatic penalty shoot-out against rivals Notts County on Tuesday night thanks to a last gasp Wes Morgan thunderbolt in the 123rd minute.
The Carling Cup first round game was level at 3-3 after extra time, and Magpies skipper Neal Bishop missed the crucial penalty for the League One side, blazing his spot-kick over and gifting Forest a 4-3 victory on penalties.

The Magpies started the brighter - defensive stalwart Mike Edwards put Notts ahead with 15 minutes on the clock. However the Reds were quick to respond - Forest ace Lewis McGugan found the top right corner of the net with a superb free-kick after 29 minutes.

Both sides looked threatening in their opposing boxes on many occasions but the game remained level at half time.

After the break Forest drew first blood - a close range effort from USA frontman Robbie Findley beat County keeper Stuart Nelson to make it 2-1.

However former Forest striker, Craig Westcarr levelled again for County in the 75th minute with a close range effort from inside the area, delighting the away contingent who had made the short trip across the Trent.

The Magpies soon built up momentum and attacked the Forest box again, and Lee Hughes got his deserved reward with a thunderous curling shot past Forest keeper Paul Smith to make it 3-2.

The home side looked dead and buried until Findley found Wes Morgan outside the area who rifled a shot into the top corner from 20-yards taking the game to penalties.

Jonathan Greening hit the post with Forest's opening spot-kick, but his blushes were saved when another former Forest player, Hamza Bencherif missed County's third penalty.

The Reds new signing George Boateng was denied by Nelson before County striker Lee Hughes fired over.

Forest captain Luke Chambers kept his cool to keep Forest ahead and Bishop blazed over sending County out and Forest into the next round.

The draw for the second round of the competition is set to be made live on Sky Sports following the conclusion of the Sheffield Wednesday v Blackpool tie at Hillsborough on Thursday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment